Epoxy flooring is a relatively new product in the world of flooring. Still, it has already proven itself to be one of the most popular options for homeowners and business owners. The material is recognized as being aesthetically pleasing and easy to maintain. This article will discuss what epoxy flooring is, some of the benefits associated with it, and some of the most common misconceptions about this type of flooring.
What is Epoxy Flooring?
Epoxy flooring is a material that is made up of two components- an epoxy resin and a hardener. When these two substances are combined, they create a durable and long-lasting coating that can be used to coat a variety of surfaces- including concrete, wood, tile, and metal. Epoxy flooring has been shown to be resistant to scratches, fading, and staining. It is also non-toxic, which means it is safe for both people and pets.
##Types of Epoxy Flooring
There are many different types of epoxy flooring available on the market. Some of the most common varieties include:
* Epoxy coatings- These are thin coats of epoxy that are applied to a surface in order to protect it and give it a glossy finish. Epoxy coatings are usually used on concrete and wood floors.
* Epoxy mortars- Epoxy mortars are thick, paste-like substances that are used to fill in cracks and crevices in surfaces before they are coated with epoxy. This type of flooring is often used on concrete surfaces.
* Epoxy tiles- Epoxy tiles are self-adhesive tiles that can be used to cover existing floors or create new ones. They come in a variety of colors and styles and are very easy to install.
* Epoxy flooring systems- This is the most comprehensive type of epoxy flooring and involves the installation of a completely new floor. Epoxy flooring systems can be used on concrete, wood, or tile surfaces.
* Metallic epoxy- Metallic epoxy is a combination of metallic flakes and an epoxy resin. It can be used to create sparkle on floors while still maintaining the benefits of typical epoxy flooring materials, like durability and easy maintenance. The material can also be used to repair surfaces that have begun to oxidize or corrode.
* Flake epoxy- Flake epoxy is made up of small pieces of plastic or metal that are embedded in an epoxy resin. It is often used to create a textured surface on floors.
* Pigmented epoxy- Pigmented epoxy is a type of epoxy that is mixed with paint in order to create custom colors. This type of flooring is often used on concrete surfaces.
##Commercial vs. Residential Epoxy Flooring
Epoxy flooring can be used in both commercial and residential spaces. The material is durable and long-lasting, so it makes an ideal option for businesses that receive a lot of foot traffic or pets. It is also aesthetically pleasing, which means it can help improve the overall look of your business. This type of flooring is typically more expensive than other options such as carpeting or tile, but the durability and ease of maintenance make up for this difference.
The Benefits of Epoxy Flooring
There are many benefits that come with installing epoxy flooring in your home or business. Some of the most common benefits include:
· The material is easy to maintain
· It can be applied to many different types of surfaces, including concrete, tile, and wood
· Epoxy flooring is durable and lasts for a long time
· This type of flooring resists staining and scratching
Common Misconceptions about Epoxy Flooring
As with all new products on the market, there are some misconceptions that surround epoxy flooring. A few of the most common misconceptions people have about this product include:
· Since it’s so durable, it must be difficult to install
· It’s only for industrial or commercial settings
· The finish is too glossy and not aesthetically pleasing
The Truth About Epoxy Flooring
In reality, epoxy flooring is easy to install- even for the amateur do-it-yourselfer. It can be applied to a variety of surfaces, including those that are commonly found in residential homes. And, while it does have a glossy finish, this can be easily modified to create a surface that is more suited to your personal preferences.
If you are considering installing epoxy flooring in your home or business, it is important to educate yourself on all of the facts about this product. By doing so, you can make an informed decision.
Here are some common questions about epoxy flooring, along with facts that will help you understand just how useful this material can be:
· Is Epoxy Flooring Durable?
Yes! This type of coating is incredibly long-lasting. In fact, the epoxy coating can last up to 30 years or more when used on floors and 20 years on walls and ceilings without any problems at all.
· Does Epoxy Flooring Require a Lot of Maintenance?
The answer to this question is also “no.” While the flooring does not require a lot of maintenance, it is important that you clean up spills or liquids right away. Leaving them on the surface for an extended period of time can cause staining and discoloration.
· How Many Colors Are Available?
There are many different colors available when choosing epoxy flooring. The range starts with standard white and goes all the way through red, yellow, blue, black, and green- including all neutral shades like beige and gray.
If you’re ready to take advantage of this excellent product for your home or business, contact a trusted flooring professional like Epoxy Flooring San Antonio, who specializes in epoxy flooring. They will help you with all your needs, including designing the perfect surface for your specific situation. By using an experienced flooring professional, you can be sure that you’ll have a final product that meets your approval and is well within your budget.