Epoxy flooring has grown in popularity for environments like warehouses and factories because of its many benefits. These floors are hard-wearing, stable, chemical resistant, and highly customizable. This article will cover all the basics of epoxy and the top 10 reasons you should install this material in your warehouse.
What is Epoxy?
Epoxy is a two-part resin that is combined and then applied to a surface. The hardener and resin are mixed together to create a durable, chemical-resistant coating. Epoxy can be used on concrete, metal, wood, and plastic surfaces. This material can be used for a variety of applications, including adhesives, coatings, and flooring.
These floors are customizable and can be made to order in a variety of colors, finishes, and textures. Epoxy flooring is also slip-resistant, making it a good choice for warehouses and other industrial environments.
Types of Epoxy Coatings
There are different types of epoxy to choose from, each one useful for a particular job!
General-purpose epoxy flooring is the most common type of flooring. It is good for warehouses and other industrial environments because it is chemical resistant and durable enough to withstand high traffic.
Epoxy terrazzo flooring has the same benefits as traditional terrazzo floors but uses epoxy instead of marble dust or stone chips to create its coloration. This option is less expensive than traditional terrazzo, yet still elegant. The colors are also more customizable with this material.
Floor tiles are used in areas that don’t see as much foot traffic, like hallways or break rooms where heavy use might cause damage to thicker epoxy flooring. These tiles can be easily replaced if damaged and are a good way to add color and texture without the expense of an entire epoxy coating job.
Epoxy paint is used on surfaces that are not able to withstand the pressure of traffic, like walls or light poles. The paint adds high-gloss colors that are easy to clean.
Metallic epoxy flooring is used to create a glamorous effect. This type of flooring is made with real metal flakes that give it a shimmering finish.
Flake epoxy flooring is a more traditional warehouse coating. This type of flooring has fumed silica and other minerals mixed into the epoxy to create a textured, slip-resistant surface that is chemical and abrasion-resistant.
10 Reasons to Install Warehouse Epoxy Flooring
1. Chemical resistance – Epoxy is resistant to most chemicals, meaning it will not be damaged by spills or other accidents. The material will not curl, splinter, or delaminate under most chemical conditions. Warehouses need a material that can withstand chemicals because these environments are often full of spills, leaks, and other potentially hazardous chemicals.
2. Slip-resistant – A slip-resistant floor is a must in a warehouse environment. It’s important to prevent accidents from occurring when materials are being stored on the floor or items need to be moved around quickly. With its unique texture, epoxy provides excellent slip resistance for all kinds of traffic.
3. Drying times – Once the chemical reaction between the resin and hardener has been activated, epoxy will dry very quickly, allowing workers to return to their tasks as soon as possible after application. This is especially useful if it needs to cure overnight before installers can walk on it again!
4. Wear resistance – Warehouse epoxy flooring is extremely durable and will stand up to heavy traffic and abuse. The material is also scratch-resistant, meaning it can withstand the movement of pallets and other objects being moved around on the floor.
5. Temperature resistance – Epoxy can handle a wide range of temperatures without becoming damaged or brittle. This makes it perfect for warehouses that experience extreme changes in temperature throughout the day or year.
6. Aesthetics – Epoxy flooring is available in a variety of colors, finishes, and textures, making it easy to find one that will match the aesthetic of your warehouse. You can also choose from a variety of tile and paint options to create a unique look.
7. Easy installation – Epoxy flooring is typically installed and removed very quickly and easily. Basic epoxy flooring is often poured in place, making it easy to upgrade the level of your warehouse if needed. Some epoxy flooring can also be applied with a roller, like paint!
8. Low maintenance – Unlike other types of floors that need to be sealed regularly or waxed frequently, epoxy requires little maintenance. Depending on the use of your warehouse, you may need to sweep up debris occasionally or clear away any chemicals that have spilled on the floor, but regular upkeep is minimal.
9. Environmentally friendly – Epoxy is completely free from solvents and volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which means no harmful chemicals will contaminate your warehouse space during application or removal.
10. Cost-effective – In the long run, epoxy flooring is a very cost-effective option. It is durable and will last for years, with only minimal maintenance required. Epoxy flooring is also less expensive than other types of flooring options like tile or concrete.
Epoxy Should Be Professionally Installed
While epoxy is a very easy material to work with, it’s important to have a professional install it in your warehouse. A professional installation crew will have the experience and knowledge to ensure that your floor is installed correctly and will last for years. Epoxy flooring shouldn’t be a DIY project – leave it to the experts!
DIY kits for epoxy floors may seem like a money-saving option, but they can be more expensive in the long run. The DIY kits often only cover small sections of the floor and don’t last as long as their professionally installed counterparts – meaning you’ll need to purchase another one soon after installation! Plus, if something goes wrong, you’ll be left with an unfinished floor instead of a pristine warehouse environment for your employees to work in.
Are you looking for an experienced and reliable installer of warehouse epoxy flooring? Look no further than Epoxy Flooring San Antonio! Our team has over 25 years of experience installing epoxy floors in warehouses and industrial settings. We know what it takes to ensure a quality installation that will last long into the future. Contact us today for a free consultation!